Kirk Balk, like other schools, has a governing body made up of people drawn mainly from the local community, including parents and staff. Governors have three main responsibilities; firstly, to set a clear vision, ethos and strategic direction for their school; secondly, to hold the Principal to account for the educational performance of the students, and thirdly to make sure that the finances of the school are used effectively.
In the case of Kirk Balk, in recent times governors have appointed a Principal and other senior staff, made the decision to become an academy, revised the curriculum and managed the budget in difficult financial times.
Kirk Balk converted to an academy sponsored by Northern Education Trust (NET) in March 2015. The following governing body members have now been appointed: -
- Chair of Governor - Mr J Vincent - NET (sponsor) appointment
- Ms J M Nolan - Executive Principal and ex officio member by right
- Mr I Lane - Non Executive Sponsor Governor - Appointment renewed annually
- Ms J Fox - Sponsor Governor - Appointment for three years from March 1st 2015
- Mr P Haynes - Sponsor Governor - Appointment for 3 years from September 1st 2015
- Mrs S Kilshaw - Parent governor - Appointment for 3 years from June 1st 2015
- Mr B Gilder - Staff Governor - Appointment for 3 years from June 1st 2015
- Mrs J French - Staff Governor - Appointment for 3 years from June 1st 2015
- Laila Lawton -Community Governor
If you wish to contact any of the governors, please do so in writing via Mrs M Pedler (PA to the Principal) [email protected].
The Governing body at Kirk Balk Academy meets termly as a whole group and half termly in two committee groups. The committee groups are:
- Audit and Risk Committee
- Achievement and Climate Committee
The Audit and Risk Committee meets to review items including the academy budget, risk register and matters related to human resources & health and safety.
The Achievement and Climate Committee meets to review items including the academic progress of all students, the quality of teaching and learning, the breadth & balance of our curriculum and matters relating to behaviour & attendance.
Register of Business Interests
- Mr J Vincent -
- Northern Education Trust - Executive Governance Officer - 27th February 2017 to 27th February 2019
- J H Wood Ltd - Consultant - 16th February 2017 to Present
- Tyne Gateway Trust - Consultant - 23rd February 2017 to 1st October 2017
- GFG Education - Consultant - 3rd February 2017 to Present
- Hartlepool College of FE - Consultant - 1st January 2017 to Present
- Thirston Leadership Solutions - Owner - 1st April 2017 to Present
- Thirston New Houses Farm Management Committee - Chairman & Resident - 1st July 2017 to 30th June 2018
- Tyne Gateway Trust - Trustee - 1st May 2014 to Present
- Ms J Fox -
- South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS foundation trust - Non-Executive Director 1st August 2011 to 31st July 2017
- Peer Power - Chair of Trustees - July 2015 to Present
Download the full register of Business Interests - Register of Business Interests - 2016-2017- Amended May 2017 - added 14/05/17
Governors' roles in other schools
- Mr P Haynes -
- Principal at Outwood Academy, Carlton
Contacting our Chair of Governors
If you wish to contact our Chair of Governors please do so in writing using the details below.
Mr J Vincent
Kirk Balk Academy